Landmarks & Historical Buildings: Historical Markers in Fillmore, California

317 Central Avenue
Richard Stephen’s Grocery Store was built in 1910. The original sidewalk, inlaid in tile with the name Stephen’s, remains in the floor at the main entrance to the market. Located in the grocery store at the time was a small post office and a [Read More…]

 

320 Central Avenue
These structures were built in 1917. Early businesses included a hardware store, shoe store and bakery. For a short time it housed a three lane bowling alley. The building was also once a grocery store. In 1930, City Hall moved into the north half [Read More…]

 

328 Central Avenue
Built in 1910 as Goodenough’s Men’s Store, this building served as the local men’s clothing store until the mid-1980s. The building was then purchased and converted into a gun and sporting goods store. The building suffered moderate damage in the [Read More…]

 

338 Central Avenue
The Towne Theatre was constructed of unreinforced brick in 1918. The single-screen theater was used to show silent movies and the stage area was used for vaudeville. Mary Pickford performed here. The theater was closed due to extensive damage from [Read More…]

 

340 Central Avenue
This building was constructed in 1915 in conjunction with the Towne Theatre and served as the center for recreation in Fillmore. The first floor of the building included a one-lane bowling alley, four pool tables and a soda fountain. The second [Read More…]

 

348 Central Avenue
This store was completely rebuilt following the 1994 earthquake. The building has six apartments on the upper floor and a ‘breezeway’ to the rear parking lot. The Ballard Family has been in the furniture business for more than 60 years. This [Read More…]

 

362 Central Avenue
This hardware store was one of five owned by the three Hickey brothers of Ventura. The first location of this store was approximately 312 Central Avenue and was established by 1919. Harvey S. Patterson was the manager. Harvey S. and Edith [Read More…]

 

364 Central Avenue
This building is one of the oldest surviving structures in Fillmore, having been built in 1913. It was constructed for the Farmers and Merchants Bank, which then became Security First National Bank and later Security Pacific National Bank, before a [Read More…]

 

Fillmore State Bank
This building was constructed in 1917 to house the Fillmore State Bank, which had been founded in 1905 by Judge Felix Ewing and John Carne. In 1927 it became the Bank of Italy; the name was changed in 1930 to Bank of America. In 1965 the building [Read More…]

 

Fillmore’s First Bank & Masonic Hall
Original Site of Fillmore’s First Bank and Masonic Hall. Est. 1905 [Read More…]